Friday, February 22, 2019

The Power of Vulnerability



Vulnerable. 

What a word.  It brings thoughts and feelings of fear, anxiety, and even terror in some cases.  I know it has for me in the past. 

Good old Webster’s New World Dictionary says it’s an adjective that means, “that can be wounded, open to or easily hurt by criticism or attack, or affected by a specific influence/temptation”.   Microsoft office says some synonyms include susceptible, weak, defenseless, helpless or exposed.  

Yikes!  If some of those words don’t strike terror in the heart of anyone, I don’t know what does.  Some people say they aren’t worried about it, but I imagine if they look deep into their hearts and minds, they do.  We all do.  It’s natural. Humans need community and society to function and even loners want at least a small group of friends to like them.  Being vulnerable can open them up to pain and discomfort. 

For me, being vulnerable means showing it all emotionally, physically, mentally, or in some combination.  However, I try to be as vulnerable as possible now.  Say what?!?   Hear me out.


I’m not saying I go spewing too much information to any poor stranger down the road, but with those I trust and consider friends I’m not holding back.   I tell them what makes me hurt.  I tell them what shames me.  I tell them what I have failed at and why.  I have learned the healing power of saying words out loud.  I’ve learned that once those things have been brought to light it can trigger healing.  I’ve learned saying things out loud helps others heal from wounds they carry by letting them know they are not alone.  In healing others, we heal ourselves. 

I’ve come far enough in my own journey, that I will tell acquaintances some of my problems, fears, and faults.   Why?  Why would I open myself up to hurt that way to someone I don’t know well? 
Because we all suffer too much in silence.   We often feel we are alone.  Mental health is a huge problem in our world and opening ourselves to others can help ease our own and other’s pains.   I suffer from anxiety that can easily lead to depression when not kept in check and one of the best things to help is to TALK.

If someone doesn’t listen, find another person, and then another.  Talk about your feelings, be vulnerable.  You’ll be surprised how many feel the same.  There is very little that can happen to you that has never happened to anyone else or a similar issue that they can empathize with you, or just be a sounding board. 

Want more information on vulnerability and healing yourself mentally?  Subscribe to my email!

Blessings in Health and Happiness!



No comments:

Post a Comment